Puttenham, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands under Hogsback Hill, 4 miles W by S of Guildford, and 2 from Wanborough station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Guildford; telegraph office, Wanborough. Acreage of parish, 1950; population, 44:1. There is a parish council of five members. Puttenham Priory House belonged formerly to the Priory of Newark, and is now the seat of the Sumner family. The parish is traversed by the Pilgrim's Way from Winchester to Canterbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is transition Norman, has been restored at great cost, and has a tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, burnt down in 1736. There is a national school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Puttenham St. John the Baptist|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Puttenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Puttenham (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Puttenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.