Pepperharrow, Surrey

Historical Description

Pepperharrow, a parish in Surrey, on the river Wey, 3 miles W of Godalming station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order office, Godalming; telegraph office, Lower Easling, Acreage, 1320; population, 159. Pepperharrow House belongs to Viscount Middleton, and stands in grounds containing some very grand cedars of Lebanon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, Viscount Middleton. The church is partly Norman, was restored under the direction of Pugin, and contains several brasses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Peper-Harow St. Nicholas
Hundred Godalming
Poor Law union Hambledon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Pepperharrow from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.