Painshill, a seat in the N of Surrey, on the river Mole, 5 miles NW of Leatherhead. It belonged formerly to the Earl of Carhampton, and belongs now to the Cushny family. The grounds connected with it were laid out by the Hon. C. Hamilton; retain much of their pristine beauty, and contain an artificial lake of 30 acres, with numerous grottoes, towers, and imitation ruins, and with a group of Roman altars and sepulchral stones.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.