Oxted, Surrey

Historical Description

Oxted, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands 2 miles E of Godstone, with a station on the Croydon and Oxted Joint railway, 20 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 3659; population, 1499. There is a parish council of nine members. There are a number of handsome residences in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £350 with residence. The church is Decorated English, has been restored, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower, and contains two ancient brasses. There are a Baptist chapel and an institute with good library.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Oxted St. Mary
Hundred Tandridge
Poor Law union Godstone

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Oxted from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Oxted are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictTandridge
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRH8
Post TownOxted