Ockley on Stone Street, Surrey
Ockley-on-Stone Street, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village has a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 32 miles from London, and 7 S by W of Dorking. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorking. Acreage of parish, 3008; population, 615. There is a parish council of seven members. It is supposed to be the Aclea of the Saxon Chronicle, where Ethelwulf defeated the Danes in a great battle in 851; and has an old-fashioned green and two good inns. Ockley Court, Jayes, and Elderslie are chief residences. The parish abounds with traditions of the Danes; and Aubrey saw traces of an ancient castle near the church, and says that the Danes destroyed it with battering engines placed on Berry Hill, 2 miles distant Vestiges of a Roman camp, with double ditch and vallum, are at Holmbury Hill. A magnificent view over parts of fourteen counties, and to London and the sea, is obtained from Leith Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £400 with residence. Patron, Clare College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient structure with an embattled tower, and was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1873. The church of St John-on-Ockley Green is a modern building erected in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ockley St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Dorking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ockley on Stone Street from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ockley (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.