Ockham, a village and a parish in Surrey. The parish is bounded on the N by the river Wey, 1 mile E of Ripley, with a station called Horsley for Ockham on the L. & S.W.R., 21 miles from London, and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Lovelace. It has a post and money order office under Woking; telegraph office, Ripley. Acreage, 2907; population of the civil parish, 600; of the ecclesiastical, 570. Ockham Park belonged to the Westons, was purchased from them in 1711 by Lord Chancellor King, belongs now to the Earl of Lovelace, has a mansion in the Italian style, and pleasant grounds and gardens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £420 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lovelace. The church has a Saxon arch at the W end, remains of Norman and good specimens of the successive styles of Pointed architecture, an E window of seven lancets, divided by pilasters of Sussex marble, with sculptured capitals; comprises nave, N aisle, side chapel, and chancel, with W embattled tower, and contains four brasses of the 15th century, and in the side-chapel full-length statues of Lord King and his lady by Rysbrack. The church was restored and enlarged in 1875. Three distinguished Franciscans were natives of the parish and took name from it-Nicholas de Ockham, about 1320, a commentator on Peter Lombard; John de Ockham, about 1344; and William de Ockham, the founder of the Nominalists, and known as the Invincible Doctor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ockham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ockham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ockham (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Ockham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.