Oakwood or Okewood, Surrey
Oakwood or Okewood, an ecclesiastical parish formed out of part of the parishes of Abinger, Wotton, and Ockley, Surrey, adjacent to Sussex, 3 miles from Ockley station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 8½ SSW of Dorking. It was constituted in 1853, and its post town is Ockley, under Dorking. Population, 679. It forms the south ward of the Abinger parish council, and returns four members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £270 with residence. The church stands on a low eminence surrounded by woods; is rude Early English in style, with heavy buttresses and pointed roof; was restored in 1880, and contains a good brass of Sir Edward de la Hall of 1431. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dorking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oakwood or Okewood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.