Nimhead, a hamlet in Camberwell parish, Surrey, adjacent to the boundary with Kent, 1 mile SSE of Peckham, and 1½ SSW of New Cross railway station. It is mentioned by Hone in his " Every-Day Book" (1827) as being a "favourite resort of smoke-dried London artisans," and its name seems to be derived from an inn which has been established here for over 200 years with the sign of the Nun's Head. It has a cemetery which lies on a declivity, comprises 50 acres, is very tastefully laid out, has a handsome iron gate flanked by lodges, and contains in the centre, on the highest ground, a Churchmen's octagonal chapel with a W tower, and on the right-haud side a Dissenters' plain chapel. On the N side of Nunhead Cemetery are the reservoirs of the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company, which cover several acres.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.