Newdigate, Surrey

Historical Description

Newdigate, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands 2 miles from Holmwood station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 2¼ miles N of the boundary with Sussex, and 5¼ SSE of Dorking, and has a post and money order office under Dorking; telegraph office, Capel. The parish contains also the hamlet of Parkgate. Acreage, 4551; population, 681. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged to the Albinis, passed through the Fitzalans and others to the Newdegates, and now belongs to the Duke of Norfolk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly Early English, in good condition, and has a wooden tower and shingled spire. The chancel is 11th century work.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Newdigate St. Peter
Hundred Reigate
Poor Law union Dorking

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newdigate from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newdigate are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMole Valley
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRH5
Post TownDorking