Milford, a village and a chapelry in Witley parish, Surrey. The village stands 1½ mile SSW of Godalming, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 36 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Godalming. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Population, 1309. Milford House, Mousehill Manor House, and Milford Cottage are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £8Q with residence. The church is good, and there is a Congregational chapel. There is a mission church in connection with the parish church.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Milford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.