Little Bookham, Surrey
Bookham, Little, a parish and village in Surrey, 3 miles SW of Leatherhead, and about½ a mile from Bookham station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Great Bookham, under Leatherhead. Acreage of the parish, 929; population of the civil parish, 234; of the ecclesiastical, 176. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, about £175 with residence. The church is Norman.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Epsom|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1601.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
All Saints, Manor House Lane (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone and rubble in the Norman style, with a wooden turret containing one bell: in 1901 the church was enlarged by the addition of an organ chamber on the north side of the chancel: there are 130 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Bookham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bookham, Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Bookham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.