Knaphill, a village in the W of Surrey, principally in the civil parish of Woking, in that part of it known as the ecclesiastical parish of St John's, Woking, near the Basingstoke Canal, 1½ mile from Brookwood station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Woking. There is a nursery occupying about 120 acres, famous for American plants, but specially notable for rhododendrons and azaleas. A small iron church, a chapel of ease to St John's, was opened in 1885. The Surrey County Asylum, called Brookwood Asylum, is in the neighbourhood.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Knaphill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.