Kingswood, a township in Ewell parish and a chapelry partly also in Banstead parish, Surrey. The township is a detached part of Ewell, 3 miles from Banstead station on the L.B. & S.C.R, and 3½ N by W of Reigate. It has a post office under Epsom; money order and telegraph office, Wal-ton-on-the-HilL Acreage, 1821; population of the township, 608; of the ecclesiastical district, 1255. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; gross value, £200. The church is recent, in lieu of an old one, was built by the late Mr Alcock at a cost of £10, 000, and is in the Decorated English style and cruciform, with central embattled tower and spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Kingswood Warren is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Reigate|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingswood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Kingswood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.