Kingston on Thames, Surrey
Kingston-upon-Thames, a town, a parish, a municipal borough, and a hundred in Surrey. The town stands on the river Thames, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., opposite Bushy Park and Hampton Court, 10 miles SW of Vanxhall Bridge, and 12 from the London terminus of the Southwestern railway. A new line from Surbiton to Cobham and Guildford was completed in 1889. The Kingston line, joining at Twickenham the Windsor branch of the L. & S.W.R., has a station at the north end of the town. A Roman station is generally believed to have been here, and many Roman antiquities have been found. An adjacent ford is the first point above London at which the Thames could be anciently crossed, and that may have been used by the Romans either simply as a practicable crossing-place or as the site of a bridge. The Saxons at an early period attached importance to the locality, called it Moreford and Cingestone, held a great council at it in 838, and crowned their kings at it from 900 to 993. A stone, still preserved near the market-place, is traditionally regarded as the coronation-seat. A defeat is said to have been suffered by the Danes in a great battle here. A fortalice seems to have been built at Kingston soon after the Conquest, and was taken by Henry III. in his contest with De Montfort. The town was occupied by the Earl of Gloucester in 1264, by Sir Thomas Wyatt in 1553-54, and by alternately the Royalists and the Parliamentarians in the Civil War, and was the scene of both the first action of that war in 1641-42 and the last one in 1648. The archdeaconry of Kingston, taken from that of Southwark, was constituted in 1879, and comprises the deaneries of Barnes, Beddington, Godstone, Kingston, and Beigate.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kingston-upon-Thames All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Kingston-Upon-Thames|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingston on Thames from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kingston-Upon-Thames (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.