Horsleydown, Surrey

Historical Description

Horsleydown, a parish in Surrey. The parish forms part of the metropolis, lies on the Thames below London Bridge, near London Bridge railway station, and is in the-SE Metropolitan postal district. It was separated from St Olave in 1732, and it bears the name of Horsleydown St John. Acreage, 69; population, 9812. The Church of St John was one of fifty new churches built about 1732, and it has the remarkable feature of a spire surmounted by an Ionic column. See also LONDON.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.