Horley, Surrey

Historical Description

Horley, a parish in Surrey. The parish lies in the Weald, on the river Mole, 4½ miles S by E of Eeigate, and has a station on the L.C. & S.C.R., 26 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 7320; population of the civil parish, 3300; of the ecclesiastical, 2891. The limits include Kennersley Manor, Horley Lodge, Mason's Bridge, and Horse Hill, the last a conspicuous object. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; value, £290 with residence. Patrons, Christ's Hospital, London. The church is Early English, was thoroughly restored in 1882, and has a shingle spire. The vicarage of Sidlow Bridge is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a mission church at Salfords, and some charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Horley St. Bartholomew
Hundred Reigate
Poor Law union Reigate

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Horley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Horley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictReigate and Banstead
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRH6