Hook, a hamlet, a township, and a chapelry in Kingston-upon-Thames parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies 2½ miles S of Kingston, and about 2 from Surbiton station on the L. & S.W.R., is an ancient place, and was formerly called La Hoke. It has a post and money order office under Kingston; telegraph office, Long Ditton. Acreage of township, 49 2; population, 418; of ecclesiastical parish, 1147. The chapelry was constituted in 1839. The chief landowers are the Earl of Lovelace and Lord Foley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; value, £80 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church was built in 1883; it is a building of red brick in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kingston upon Thames|
|Poor Law union||Kingston-Upon-Thames|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hook from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Hook are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.