Holmbury St Mary, Surrey
Holmbury St Mary, an ecclesiastical parish in Surrey, formed from the civil parishes of Shere, Abinger, Ewhurst, Cranley, Ockley, and Ockham, in 1878. The village is 3 miles from Gomshall and Shore station on the S.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorking. Population, 651. Holmbury Park is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, o£198. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church, erected in 1879, is a stone building in the Early English style, and was built and given to the parish by the late Mr Street, R.A., in memory of his wife. It possesses many features of interest and beauty. Holmbury Hill is an elevation of 800 feet, commanding lovely views, and is the site of an ancient camp.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Holmbury St Mary are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.