Hersham or Heversham, Surrey
Hersham or Heversham, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Surrey. The village stands on the river Moley with a station, called Walton and Hersham, on the L.&S.W.R., 17 miles from London, and 5 SW by W of Kingston-on-Thames. The parish was constituted in 1851. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Walton-on-Thames. Population, 3439. The Metropolitan Convalescent Institution stands about 1 mile W of the village, was extended by the addition of a new wing in 1862, and again enlarged in 1868. It contains accommodation for 300 patients. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value,. £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was rebuilt in 1887, and is a fine edifice of Bargate stone in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel, a circular edifice, built in 1844. There are several very fine seats in the vicinity.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.