Hale or Heal, Surrey

Historical Description

Hale or Heal, a hamlet and a chapelry in Farnham parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies on the verge of the county, near Farnham Park. 2 miles N of Farnham town and station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Famham. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value,, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church of St John the Evangelist is in the Norman style, and has been thoroughly restored. The church of St Mark, situated at Upper Hale, was erected in 1884. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels, and an excellent convalescent home. The Aldershot Army College, erected in 1885 as the headquarters of the Army College, is a very handsome building, situated at Heathend. Farnham workhouse is in the parish. Hale stands very high, and is exceedingly healthy.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.