Guildford St Nicholas, Surrey

Historical Description

St. Nicholas is an ecclesiastical parish, in the municipal borough of Guildford, Surrey. The Church stands on the west bank of the Wey, near the bridge, a handsome specimen of a richly ornamented church; was built in 1876, its immediate predecessor having been erected in 1837, when some remains of 13th and 15th century work were discovered. The present structure consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, west porch and a tower containing 8 bells; on the south side is a chapel connected with the manor of Loseley, containing several good monuments and brasses. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Winchester, value, £360 with residence. The area of St. Nicholas is 2847 acres; population, 3253.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.