Farncombe, a tithing and a chapelry in Godalming parish, Surrey. The tithing lies 1 mile NNE of Godalming station on the L, & S.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Godalming. The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Population, 2922. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £96 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is modern, and was enlarged in 1874. There are Wesleyan and Unitarian chapels.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Farncombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.