Ewhurst, a parish in Surrey, at the edge of the Weald, 3 miles from Cranley station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 8 SW of Dorking. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Guildford. Acreage, 5419; population, 1021. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £285 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands high, and was almost wholly rebuilt in 1839. There are national schools.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ewhurst St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ewhurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ewhurst (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Ewhurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.