Ewell, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands at the head of the Hogs Mill rivulet, with stations on the L. & S.W.R. and L.B. & S.C.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Epsom. It was formerly a market-town, and still has fairs on 13 May and 29 Oct. Acreage, 2437; population, 3143. Ewell Castle is a chief residence. The Hogs Mill rivulet rises at the intersection of the roads to London and Kingston, and runs to the Thames at Kingston. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £204 with residence. The church was built in 1848 at a cost of £5600, and is in the Decorated English style. The tower of the old church serves now as a cemetery chapel, and is an edifice of flint and stone. The new church has monuments of Sir Richard Bulkeley, Lord Mayor Sir William Lewen, and Lord Mayor Sir Richard Glyn. The vicarage of Kingswood is a separate benefice. A Congregational chapel was built in 1864, a mechanics' institution in 1860, and large national schools in 1861. There are some extensive pottery works and several large flour-mills. Bishop Corbett of Norwich was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ewell St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Epsom|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ewell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ewell (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Ewell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.