Esher, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on high ground, adjacent to the river Mole, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 15 miles from London. It has a head post office. It was known at Domesday as Aissele, it figured prominently for some time in connection with a neighbouring episcopal palace, and it now presents a pleasant appearance, and has charming environs. The parish comprises 2044 acres of land and 50 of water; population, 2282. Esher Palace stood on the bank of the Mole, was erected in the latter part of the 15th century by Bishop Waynflete of Winchester, underwent repair and reconstruction by Wolsey on his appointment to the see of Winchester, became his retreat on his disgrace at Court, passed under Bishop Gardner to the Crown, was given by Elizabeth to Lord Howard of Effingham, went through various possessors to the minister Henry Pelham, and passed first to Lord Sondes, and then to the Spicers. The estate was sold in 1865. No part of the ancient palace now exists except a square tower, with octagonal turrets at the comers, known as " Wolsey's Tower," and a central gateway. The present mansion stands on higher ground, bears the name of Esher Place, is entirely modern, and commands a rich view over the valley of the Thames. It was sold to Sir Edgar Vincent in 1893. The surrounding grounds are beautiful, and they retain some features of the elaborate care with which they were formerly laid out. Pope alludes to them in his verses, and Thomson speaks of" Esher's grove Where in the sweetest solitude, embraced By the soft windings of the silent Mole, From courts and senate Pelham finds repose."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Esher St. George|
|Poor Law union||Kingston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Esher from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Esher (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Esher are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.