Elstead, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on the river Wey, 4½ miles W by S of Godalming station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Godalming. Acreage of parish, 4106; population, 775. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £19G with residence. The church is small and good, and was restored in 1872. There is a Congregational chapel and a young men's institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elstead St. James|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elstead (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Elstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.