Effingham, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Surrey. The village stands 3½ miles SW of Leatherhead, 4½ NW by W of Dorking, and has a station on the L. & S.W.B., 21 miles from London. It was formerly a place of some importance, said to have contained sixteen churches, and gives the title of Earl to the Howards of Grange. It has a post and money order office under Leatherhead; telegraph office, Great Bookham. The parish, with the village, comprises S183 acres; population of the civil parish, 620; of the ecclesiastical, 614. Effingham House, the seat of the Parrett family, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £106 with residence. The church is ancient, has stalls, and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The hundred contains also two other parishes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Effingham St. Lawrence|
|Hundred||Copthorne and Effingham|
|Poor Law union||Dorking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Effingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Effingham (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Effingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.