East Sheen, Surrey

Historical Description

Sheen, East, a hamlet and a chapelry in Mortlake parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies near Mortlake station on the L. & S.W.R., half a mile S of the Thames and 2 E by N of Richmond, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The chapelry was constituted in 1864. There are numerous fine villas, most of them with very beautiful grounds, and much of the area is shaded and beautified with magnificent oaks, chestnuts, and cedars. The living is annexed to Mortlake. The church was built in 1863 and enlarged in 1886; it is in the Decorated style. Earl Spencer is lord of the manor.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of East Sheen are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictRichmond upon Thames
CountyGreater London
RegionLondon
CountryEngland
Postal districtSW14
Post TownLondon