East Clandon, Surrey

Historical Description

Clandon, East, a parish in Surrey, near the river Wey, 2 miles from West Clandon station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4½ NE by E of Guildford. It has a post office under Guild-ford; money order and telegraph office, West Horsley. Acreage, 1448; population, 300. Hatchlands was the seat and deathplace of Admiral Boscawen, and is now the seat of the Eendel family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lovelace. The church is Decorated English, and good, but has been defaced by plaster. Gone the poet, who flourished in the early part of the 17th century, was rector.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Hundred Woking
Poor Law union Guildford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Clandon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of East Clandon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictGuildford
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtGU4
Post TownGuildford