Crystal Palace, Surrey

Historical Description

Crystal Palace, a grand museum of art and science on the mutual border of Surrey and Kent, 1 mile WSW of Syden-ham, and 7½ miles from London, was originally erected in Hyde Park, after designs by Sir Joseph Paxton, for the Exhibition of 1851, and was re-erected on its present site in 1854. It consists of a nave with side aisles, two main galleries, and three transepts. The nave is 1608 feet long, 72 wide, and 110 high; the central transept 384 feet long, 120 wide, and 174 high; the end transepts 312 feet long, 72 wide, and 110 high. Any tolerable vidimus of the disposition and contents would be too long for our limits, and is rendered unnecessary by the excellent hand-books sold on the spot. A park of 200 acres adjoins the palace, and is enriched with terraces, gardens, and fountains.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.