Crowhurst, a parish in Surrey, on Broad-Mead Water, 2½ miles ESE of Godstone station on the S.E.R., and 9½ E by S of Reigate. Post town, Lingfield; money order and telegraph office, Lingfield. Acreage, 2119; population, 246. The manor belonged from an early period till the 18th century to the Gaynesfords, and the manor-house, called Crowhurst Place, now a formhouse, was a stately mansion of the time of Henry VII. Another farmhouse was the seat of the Angell family, a mansion of the time of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; value, £108 with residence. The church has parts from Transition Norman to Perpendicular English, and contains brasses of the Gaynesfords. A hollow yew tree in the churchyard measures 30½ feet in girth at 5 feet from the ground, and is the largest, in the county.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crowhurst St. George|
|Poor Law union||Godstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crowhurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Crowhurst (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Crowhurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.