Cranley or Cranleigh, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village has a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 49 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Guildford, and gives the title of Viscount to Earl Onslow. Acreage of parish, 7758; population, 2055. Vacherie, now demolished hut still traceable, was the grange of the Brays of Shore, afterwards occupied by Day, the author of " Sandford and Merton." The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £652 with residence. The church is a well-restored ancient edifice, with tracery and fine stained windows. A county school or college, with chapel, in the Pointed collegiate style, was erected in 1865-69 at a cost of £30,000. Thomas de Granley, Archbishop of Dublin, was a native. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels, and a village hospital. The " Lady Peek Institute," erected in 1885 to the memory of Lady Peek by her husband, consists of a coffee tavern, recreation room, and library. Knowie is a chief residence.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Cranleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.