Coombe, Surrey

Historical Description

Coombe, a chapelry in Kingston parish, Surrey, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 10 miles from London, and 2¼E of Kingston. It was constituted in 1866, includes New Maiden, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kingston-on-Thames. The district is now called New Maiden with Coombe. Population, 3565. Coombe House-was the residence of Lord Liverpool, the prime minister, where he entertained the Prince Regent, the King of Prussia, and the Emperor of Russia. The living is a vicarage, annexed to New Maiden, in the diocese of Rochester;. joint net value, £195. An iron mission room in connection with the church was opened in 1885.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Coombe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictKingston upon Thames
CountyGreater London
RegionLondon
CountryEngland
Postal districtKT3
Post TownNew Malden