Compton, a parish in Surrey, under Hogs Back Hill, 2 miles from Godalming station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3-SW by W of Guildford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Guildford. Acreage, 1998; population, 558. The manor was early annexed to the honour of Windsor, but soon divided into several parts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £255 with residence. The church is Late Norman, with additions down to Debased Perpendicular, has a chapel over the chancel, and has been repaired.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Compton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Guildford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Compton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Compton (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.