Cobham, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 19 miles from London, and 6½ W of Epsom. The parish has a head post office, and comprises 5332 acres; population, 2978. Cobham Park mansion was built by J. Bridges, Esq., about 1725, on the plan of an Italian villa, and is the seat of the Combe family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £224 with residence. The church is chiefly Later English, but has a Normau door and a Norman tower; it was restored in 1866, and again in 1872. There is a chapel of ease at Hatchford which has its perpetual curate. There are Wesleyan, Congregational, and Baptist chapels, and a working men's hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cobham St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Epsom|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cobham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cobham (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Cobham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.