Claygate or Cleygate, Surrey

Historical Description

Claygate or Cleygate, a manor-chapelry in Thames Ditton parish, Surrey, with a station on the L. & N.W.R., 15 miles from London, and 4½ SSW of Kingston. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Esher. Population, 1061. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £200 with residence. The church is. modern, and has been enlarged.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Civil parish Thames Ditton
Hundred Kingston
Poor Law union Kingston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Claygate or Cleygate from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.