Claremont, Surrey

Historical Description

Claremont, a seat in Esher parish, Surrey, near the river Mole, with a station called Esher and Claremont on the L. & S.W.R, 14 miles from London, and 4¼ SW of Kingston. A house was built here for his own residence by Sir John Vanbrugh the architect; sold to the Earl of Clare, who became Duke of Newcastle; resold after the Duke's death to the great Lord Clive; and soon afterwards pulled down. The present mansion was built by Lord Clive, after designs by Brown, at a cost of £100,000; passed to Lord Galway, the Earl of Tyrconnel, Charles R. Ellis, Esq., and the Crown; was given to the Princess Charlotte and her husband Prince Leopold; was the Princess' deathplace in 1817; was appropriated by the King of the Belgians, the quondam Prince Leopold, to the use of the Royal Orleans family after their exile from France in 1848, It is now the property of the Queen, the rights having been purchased for her in 1882; other parts of the Esher manor were purchased for Her Majesty in 1883. Claremont is now the residence of H.R.H. The Duchess of Albany. The edifice is of brick with stone dressings, and contains many memorials of the Princess Charlotte. The grounds are 3¼ miles in circuit, were laid out by Brown, and contain a lake of about 5 acres and a small Gothic mausoleum of the Princess Charlotte.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.