Chart or Chirt, now Churt, an ecclesiastical parish formed out of Frensham parish, Surrey, 5¼ miles SSE of Farnham railway station. It was constituted in 1865, and has a post and money order office under Farnham. Population, 649. The living is a vicarage; value, £250. Patron, the Archdeacon of Surrey.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Churt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chart, or Churt)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Churt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.