Chipstead, a parish in Surrey, 2 miles N of Merstham station on the S.E.R., and 5 NNE of Reigate. It has a post and money order office under Red Hill; telegraph office, Merstham. Acreage, 2420; population, 688. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; value, £410. Patron, Lord Hylton, who owns most of the parish. The church ranges from Early Norman to Perpendicular English, has a low central tower, stands on a conspicuous site, and contains mementos of the Stephenses, the eldest daughter of Hooker, author of the " Ecclesiastical Polity," and Sir Edward Banks the architect. An endowed school was built in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chipstead St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Reigate|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chipstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chipstead (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Chipstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.