Chiddingfold, a parish in Surrey, in the Weald, 2 miles SE of Witley and Chiddingfold station on the L. & S.W.R., 38 miles from London, and 4½ NE of Haslemere. It has a post office under Godalming. Acreage, 7043; population, 1528. Glass was manufactured here as early as the 13th century, the earliest mention of glass-making in England being in this parish. Iron was manufactured from the time of Elizabeth to that of Charles II. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £382 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly Early English and good; it was restored in 1870. There is a Congregational chapel. The parish institute was erected in 1877. Combe Court and Pickhurst are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chiddingfold St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chiddingfold from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chiddingfold (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Chiddingfold are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.