Chessington, a parish in Surrey, 3 miles S of Surbiton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3½ S of Kingston-on-Thames, which is the post town. Acreage (including Rushett), 1702; population, 432. Chessington Hall was the residence of Samuel Crisp, the author of the tragedy " Virginia," and was often visited by Dr Burney. An artificial mound, now covered with wood, bears the name of Castle Hill, and seems to have been the site of an ancient fortification. Roman coins have been found near it. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Maiden, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is Early English, was restored in 1854 and enlarged in 1870, and contains a monument of Samuel Crisp. In 1884 an outlying hamlet of Maiden parish was added to Chessington under the Divided Parishes Act.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Copthorne and Effingham|
|Poor Law union||Epsom|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chessington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Chessington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.