Chertsey, a town and a parish in Surrey. The town stands on the Thames, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 22 miles from London. It is the Ceortesige of the Saxons, and was a seat of the Saxon kings. In Brayley's " History of Surrey " the derivation of the name Chertsey is given as follows: " Ceroti Insula or Isle of Cerotis. In Domesday Book it is called 'vill of Certesyg.'" Its site was originally a grassy island, and is now low ground among rich green meadows. A great monastery was founded at it in 666 by Earconwald, Bishop of London, son of Auna, King of the East Saxons, suffered repeated devastation, and eventually destruction by the Norsemen, was re-established as a Benedictine abbey in 964 by Edgar, and was given at the dissolution first to Bisham Priory and next to Sir William Fitz-william. The body of Henry VI. was deposited in this abbey from 23rd May, 1471, till 1504, when by order of the king (Henry VII.) the body was removed to Windsor. The Lady Anne, as noted by Shakespeare, encountered Richard of Gloucester on her way to Chertsey. The abbey possessed great wealth and consequence, drawing much traffic to the town, but was totally destroyed in 29 Henry VIIL, 1538, and much of the stones, wood, &c., were conveyed to Oaklands for the building of the king's palace there. Part of the ruins, too, were used " to build a fair house, which is now in the possession of Sir Nicholas Carew, Master of the Buckhounds " (Aubrey's "Antiquities of Surrey," vol. iii., p. 174). The site passed to Dr Hammond, the physician of James L, was held by Dr Hammond's son, the divine who attended Charles I. at Carisbrooke, went next to Sir Nicholas Carew of Bed-dington, passed afterwards through various hands, and was recently purchased by one of the local honorary secretaries of the Surrey Archseological Society. Only a wall fragment and a rude gateway of the buildings remain; but excavations, with discovery of very interesting relics, were made in 1861.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chertsey All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chertsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chertsey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chertsey (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Chertsey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.