Chelsham, a parish in Surrey, on the verge of the county, 2¼ miles from Upper Warlingham station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 6½ SE of Croydon. Post town, Whyteleafe. Acreage, 3357; population, 440. An ancient oblong camp is on Worms Heath. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warlingham, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is Early English, and has an ancient font. It was repaired in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chelsham St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Godstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chelsham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chelsham (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Chelsham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.