Charlwood, a parish in Surrey, on an affluent of the river Mole, 3½ miles SW by W of Horley station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 6½ S by W of Reigate. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Horley. Acreage, 7093; population, 1444. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester; value of living, commuted tithe rent charge, £905 with residence and glebe. The church is partly Norman, and was repaired in 1859. There is a chapel of ease (St Michael and All Angels) at Lemfield Heath. A cottage hospital was erected in 1873. The principal residences are Gatwick Manor and the rectory, all others are modern residential villas, except Old Charlwood House.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Charlwood St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Reigate|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Charlwood (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Charlwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.