Bramley, a parish in Surrey, with a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 44 miles from London, and 3 S by E of Guildford, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 4544; population of the civil parish, 1912; of the ecclesiastical, 1468. The manor-house is an old edifice, with picturesque gables, now occupied as a farm. The Constitutional Hall was built in 1888, and will hold 350 persons. There is also a good reading-room and library. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman, and has a good Early English chancel. It was enlarged in 1877, and again in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The cemetery, of 2 acres, was formed in 1851 at the expense of the widow of the late William Alexander Sutherland, and enlarged in 1890 by the addition of half an acre, given by the late Percy Ricardo esq.; it has one mortuary chapel, and is under the control of the vicar and churchwardens.
The register dates from the year 1563.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is of native stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, and has a tower, with spire, containing 6 bells: there are monuments to the Ludlow, Sparkes and Barrett families: the church has been twice enlarged, in 1847 and 1882, and was reseated and a vestry and organ chamber built in 1887; in 1895 the chancel was completely restored at the expense of Mrs. Courage, of Snowdenham Hall, and it now affords about 500 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bramley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Bramley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.