Betchworth, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, 2½ miles W by S of Eeigate, and 27 from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, and a station on the S.E.R. The parish includes also the village of Brockham. Acreage, 3743; population of the civil parish, 1868; of the ecclesiastical, 838. Betchworth Park, with the manor of West Betchworth, belonged to Lord Maltravers, who was made Earl Marshal by Richard II.; passed by marriage in 1437 to Sir Thomas Brown; and went by purchase in 1690 to Abraham Tucker, author of " The Light of Nature," who lived and died here. It contains a noble avenue of chestnuts and limes nearly 1000 feet long, contains also some shapeless ruins of Betchworth Castle, which was fortified and embattled by Sir Thomas Brown. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; gross value, £156 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was renovated and much altered in 1850; retains some interesting ancient parts, Norman and Perpendicular; and has on the chancel floor a fine brass of W. Wordsworth, vicar, 1533. A splendid pulpit of marble and glass mosaic was erected in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Betchworth St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Reigate|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, with a tower containing 8 bells: there is a fine brass to William Wordsworth, formerly vicar of this parish, dated 1533, and a palimpsest brass shield, found amongst rubbish in the churchyard, and now in the British Museum, presents on the more ancient face a merchant's mark, and on the obverse the arms of the FitzAdrians, who held the manor of Brockham in this parish under the Warrens: there is also an ancient oak chest and a pulpit of marble and glass mosaic, the gift of Joseph Maynard esq, in 1885: there is a monument to Abraham Tucker, author of "The Light of Nature," who formerly resided at Betchworth Castle: the church affords 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Betchworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Betchworth (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Betchworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.