Bagshot, formerly a tithing of Windlesham civil parish, Surrey, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1874. The town stands on the borders of Berkshire, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 32 miles from London. Acreage, 2197; population, 1408. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office. It was a place of hotels, posting-houses, and much thoroughfare prior to the railway period, and it bore the name of Holy Hall in the times of the Stuart kings. Bagshot Park, to the N of it, has been a royal park from the time of the Conquest. It was a favourite hunting seat of the Stuart kings, and a residence of George IV. when Prince of Wales, and passed afterwards to the Duke of Gloucester. It is now in the possession of the Duke of Connaught. An American garden and a neighbouring large nursery are remarkable for very fine azaleas and rhododendrons. The living is a vicarage; net value, £275 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The Church of St Anne, erected at a cost of £6000 in 1884, is a building of red brick in the Geometric style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chertsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1820.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
St. Anne (parish church)
The parish church of St. Anne, erected at a cost of £6,000, and consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester in August, 1884, is of red brick with Bath stone dressings in the Geometric style, and has a tower with spire, 140 feet in height, containing a clock and six bells; the stained east window is a memorial to H.R.H. the Duke of Albany K.G. who died at Cannes 28 March, 1884, and was erected by his brothers and sisters; the west window was erected in 1902 by subscription to Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, and there is another to Maj.-Gen. Sir Howard Craufurd Elphinstone V.C., K.C.B., C.M.G. d. 1890: an oak reredos was presented to the church in 1912 by H.R.H. the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn K.G., K.T., K.P. in memory of his brother, His late Majesty King Edward VII. and to whose memory a carved oak screen was erected in the same year by public subscription.
No information available
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bagshot from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Bagshot are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.