Ash, Surrey

Historical Description

Ash, a village and a parish in Surrey, The village stands near the Basingstoke Canal and the Blackwater river, 2 miles NW of Hog's Back, and 4 NE of Farnham on the S.E.E., 35 miles from London. The parish includes also the tithing of Normandy and the hamlet-chapelry of Frimley. There is a post and money order office; the telegraph office is at Ash railway station. Acreage, 6324; population of the civil parish, 2544; of the ecclesiastical, 1835. The southern tracts are hilly. Ash Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £338; patron, Winchester College. The church has a plain Norman doorway, and has been restored. The rectory of Frimley and the perpetual curacy of York-Town are separate charges. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Surrey
Ecclesiastical parish Ash St. Peter
Hundred Godley

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register of St. Peter's dates from the year 1549.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary, Ash Vale

The church of St. Mary, Ash Vale, was built in 1906, at a cost of about £1,000, and will seat 250 persons.

St. Peter (parish church)

The church of St. Peter, originally Norman, is a building of flint, and has a tower with spire reaching a height of 100 feet and containing 5 bells: there are two brasses to the Manory family: the church was restored in 1865, at a cost of £3,000, and affords 300 sittings.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ash Vale

No information available

Wesleyan Chapel, Ash Vale

No information available

Wesleyan Chapel, Ash Street

No information available


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ash from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ash are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictGuildford
CountySurrey
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtGU12
Post TownAldershot