Alfold, Aldfold, or Awfold, a parish in the counties of Surrey and Sussex, on the Wey and Arundel Canal, 4 miles from Baynards station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 8 SSE of Godalming. It has a post and money order office under Horsham; telegraph office, Baynards railway station. Acreage, 3001; population, 558. Several French refugees from the massacre on St Bartholomew's Day settled here, and erected a glass manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £243. The church is Norman. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alfold St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Hambledon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1880, at a cost of £71; it is under the control of the Parish Council.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1658, marriages from 1659.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, and has a tower with spire, containing 3 bells: there is a monument to Francis Dorrington, dated 1693: an oak chest dated 1687, and a stained east window; the church affords 200 sittings.
The Wesleyan (formerly Baptist) chapel here was erected in 1883, and has 270 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alfold from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Alfold (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Alfold are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
By Local Government Board Order, 16,533, dated March 24, 1884, that part of the parish in Sussex was transferred to Wisborough Green, and by Order 10,920, dated December 2, 1880, a detached part of Albury was added to Alfold.
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.