Addlestone, a village and a chapelry in Chertsey parish, Surrey. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Chertsey, and has a station on the Chertsey branch of the L. & S.W.R., 21 miles from London. It is noted for a very large oak tree, called the Crouch Oak, beneath which tradition asserts Wickliffe to have preached and Queen Elizabeth to have dined. The Church of St Paul was consecrated in 1838, and restored in 1844; it will seat 800 people. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £342. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The iron church of St Augustine was opened in 1891; it will seat 200 people. In the hamlet of New Haw there is also a licensed mission church. The Princess Mary Village Homes, an institution for the reception of the female children of prisoners, and other children in destitute and dangerous circumstances, was erected in 1871. The Chertsey Union House is in the parish. There is a Workmen's Reading Room and a village hall, capable of holding 500 persons, erected in 1887. Addlestone has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Population, 5119.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chertsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1838.
The register of All Saints, Woodham dates from the year 1902
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
All Saints, Woodham
The church of All Saints, at Woodham, was built in 1907 and will seat 330 persons.
All Saints' Mission church, New Haw
No information available
St. Augustine, Weybridge Road
St. Augustine's, situated in Weybridge road, is an iron building erected in 1891 at a cost of £600, to seat 250: the land was given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
St. Paul, Church Road (parish church)
The church of St. Paul, consecrated in 1838, is an edifice of brick with stone dressings, in the Early English style, and has a tower containing one bell: there are memorial windows to the Blunt, Grant Willmott, Maitland and Milsome families, to the Rev. William Pidcock M.A. vicar 1845-84, to Mr. and Mrs. Chester Cooper, Mr. and Mrs. Rickman and Mrs. Prideaux-Brune and Mrs. Tulk; the church has 800 sittings: in the churchyard are buried Marie Therese, wife of John Kemble, who died in 1838, aged 63, and Mr. Samuel Carter Hall F.S.A. the well-known author of many works on art, who died in March, 1889, and Anna Maria, his wife; she died 30th January, 1881; the fabric of the church is clothed almost to its summit with Irish ivy, brought from Killarney in 1855 by Mr. and Mrs. Hall: the church was restored in 1883 at a cost of £2,400 and in 1905 the nave was further restored and a new chancel and vestry built at a cost of £1,500.
Wesleyan Chapel, Station Road
The Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1898, has sittings for 200 persons.
Baptist Union Chapel, Crouch Oak Lane
The Baptist Union Chapel, built in 1872, has sittings for 330 persons.
Chertsey Union Chapel
The Chertsey Union House chapel was erected in 1868 and has a western turret containing 1 bell: there were four stained windows and sittings for 220 persons. The building still exists but has been converted to residential use.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Addlestone from the following:
The "Princess Mary Village Homes," of which H.M. the Queen Mary was patroness, were erected in the year 1871, and consisted of a number of brick cottages, the central building forming a school-house, with a small tower containing a clock. The institution was certified by the Poor Law Board and Local Government Board for the reception of the female children of prisoners and other children in destitute and dangerous circumstances, and the buildings were so designed as to carry out the "family system," each cottage containing a certain number of girls under the charge of a mother: the institution had accommodation for about 200, and was supported by voluntary subscriptions with the aid of a Treasury allowance for cases committed under the Industrial Schools Act: children were admitted at the period of infancy and maintained until the age of 16, on payment of the actual cost of maintenance. Visitors were admitted between the hours of 2 and 5 every afternoon except Sunday.
The Chertsey Union House (workhouse) was in this parish.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Addlestone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.